Thursday, October 11, 2012

RAW vs JPEG

I've seen a lot of arguments about Raw or Jpeg. I used to shoot jpeg & doesn't even like
to argue about it. To me, it's about personal taste. But can I see the difference? Of course! 
 To be honest, I am not sure how jpeg shooters edit their jpeg images. I have my own recipes. 
I know I can pull up a good photo even if it's jpeg. But the reason why I started shooting
 raw is because I can control the exposure a little bit. Unlike jpeg, once it's done, it's done. 
I can still make the jpeg a little bit brighter but raw have better control. I'm not sure about
the color tone. So here's my biggest concern. The image on the left is raw but I open it with
preview. Then the one that's in the middle is raw and I opened it using the lightroom, then 
the image on the right is a jpeg also opened with preview. You can really tell the difference
 and I'm like Hey lightroom is cheatin on me! Even the CS5! grrr! 





So what i did, i opened the jpeg & Raw with CS5 and when I opened the raw
image, I copied the Jpeg tone through the Jpeg image with preview. So this is the result 
of the image. There's still a massive difference. Mia's hair (jpeg version) is dark and
 the raw version is a little brighter and the pink tone is brighter. This is exactly how I edited them. 
The CS5 raw opener, I changed the camera calibrator to neutral instead of adobe standard.
Then I enabled the lens correction then changed blacks to zero! So I hope someone can 
help me & give me a better answer. I've been frustrated about it. I was just hiding it but 
since after hearing what John Maxwell's 5 personal growth list & one of them was
*ASK QUESTIONS* I decided to spill the milk. Hopefully I'll get an answer to my long time
question. 



So here's the edited version. 


JPEG VERSION- same layer set up. 


RAW VERSION - same layer set up.


JPEG  EDITED


RAW EDITED


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joy! I shoot in RAW for some reasons:
    1. Get the highest level quality of the photo (you explained that in your post)

    2. Record Greater Levels of Brightness: Levels of brightness are the number of steps from black to white in an image. The more you have, the smoother the transitions of tones. Smooth is good.

    3. Easily Correct Dramatically Over/Under Exposed Images (you explained that in your post)

    4. Enjoy Non-Destructive Editing: In RAW im editing and the original
    data remains.

    5. It’s the Pro Option: We should provide our clients with the highest quality photos / prints.



    but the main and most important reasons to shoot in RAW:

    6. WHITE BALANCE CORRECTION: When you shoot JPEG the white balance is applied to the image. You can’t just easily choose another option. With RAW the white balance is still recorded, but because you have way more data, it’s easy to adjust.

    7. Select Colour Space on Output: With RAW you can choose from any colour space when you are exporting it out, so you can adjust depending on the situation: Web -> SRGB, Prints --> Adobe RGB

    Hope this helps. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete

Please write your comment here :)